Oglesby was founded in 1865, which was the last year of the Civil War, but didn’t acquire that name for quite a while. The Kenosha Coal Company was brought to the town and the city grew from there, welcoming businesses from the cement industry as well. The city was called “Kenosha” up until 1913, when the name was officially changed to Oglesby. The name change took place thanks to Civil War Governor Richard James Oglesby.
The city grew from there into the thriving locale it is today. The Illinois River and the Vermilion River join near Oglesby and the city is full of natural resources. There’s also a large amount of limestone and coal that is exposed around the town. Not to mention, there are three cement mines and four coal mines in the city.